Chicken Avocado Soup
This soup is souper yummy! Of course anything that has avocado in it speaks to me! Shredded chicken is what you want to use for this soup. The addition of avocado makes this soup smooth and filling.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups green onions, finely chopped, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tomato, diced
- 3 – 14.5oz cans chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- lime wedges
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium-high, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Add chicken to the heated skillet and lower temperature to medium, cover pan and grill chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165° F. Shred chicken and cover with foil to keep warm, then set aside.
- In a dutch oven or equivalent, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add the 1 cup chopped green onions and minced garlic to pot; Sauté about 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomato; Sauté 1 minute, until soft.
- Add chicken broth, cumin, and salt to pot.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Cover pot and simmer on low for 15 to 20 minutes.)
Layering in separate bowls; Fill each bowl with shredded chicken, diced avocado, chopped green onions (from the remaining 1/2 cup), and cilantro. Next, ladle the chicken broth onto the layered chicken in each bowl. Serve each bowl with a lime wedge.
(adapted from skinnytaste and found on mamamiss.com)